Friday, July 22, 2011

SURGERY

That afternoon I had to be there at 1:45pm to get prepped  for the surgery around 3:45pm. I had not eaten or drank anything since midnight (13+ hours) and I hated it cause I was not used to not eating or drinking anything for that long.  Anyways, I get called back after checking in.  Once I was back there a nurse came in and was told to lay on the gurney and that an IV would be started.  She numbed the area on my right hand were the IV would be placed  and got me started with some fluids.  A few minutes later she walked in and gave me a pill and a small sip of water and told me the pill was to help with the side affects of the anesthesia.  After she was done the anesthesiologist came in and briefed me on what all he was going to do to give me a nerve block on my leg.  The nurse came back in to scrub and clean my whole leg up to the knee.  After all that was done the anesthesiologist came in and joined the nurse to prep me for the block.  They had me roll over onto my stomach and then the nurse said she was going to be injecting some meds into the IV line that was going to make me feel relaxed and in lala land, hahaha.  As soon as she said that I started feeling weird and just placed my head on the pillow and just kinda gazed off at the wall.  I started to feel pinching below and around my knee for the next minute or so.  Once that was done they had me roll onto my back and relax until the block kicked in.  About 45 min later my leg from the knee down was numb and I was so relaxed I didn't care, LOL.  The surgeon and his team came in to get me and wheeled me off to the o.r. soon after.
 Once I was in the o.r. they had me lay on my side and then they proceeded to make me as comfortable as possible.  During this whole time I think I was being injected with the drugs into my IV line that make you go to sleep.  I say this because I was starting to feel a burning sensation in my hand were the IV was inserted.  The nurse then asked me if I was feeling OK and I told her "NO my hand was stinging" and she then told me "it will go away in a few minutes".   That it did cause I was out!!! LOL.

Here I am after having the nerve block and ready for surgery.

After surgery was done I was brought to the recovery room for roughly an hour and was sent home with meds and instructions.  2 weeks later on July 20th I am to have my 2 week post op visit.  Once in the recovery room I started to come out of it and has repeating myself like for my GF to take a pic of me holding my drink, LOL  "Take a picture of me with my drink"!!!  
Here is a picture of it

 Once I was awake enough to go home I quickly realized that my right leg below my knee was so numb and paralyzed that I couldn't even wiggle my toes!  Anyways, when I got home I laid down and started my recovery. They had put me in a splint to keep my foot still and to protect it. I was told to have no weight put on for 2 weeks and to use the crutches to get around. 
Here is my splint for 2 weeks
I was prescribed Oxycodone and Ultram as my main pain meds.  I was to use the Oxycodone for severe pain and then go to the Ultram once the pain subsided some.  When I was taking the Oxycodone I was very nausea and had hot flashes were I would be sweating real bad.  In that case I would take some Promethazine to help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment