Thursday, July 21, 2011

How It All Started




  • March 7, 2011:  The weather was cold and rainy that morning and this being my first triathlon I knew I was in for an exciting day.  As I was coming into the transition area and getting off of the bike, my right foot slipped on the wet pavement causing me to twist my ankle.  Unfortunately, I did not feel any pain at the time and continued on through my run to finish the race. 
  • March 8, 2011:  When I woke up in the morning, my ankle was a little sore.  It didn't seem swollen or tender at the time. That evening I had to go to work and I knew that being on my foot for 8+ hours was going to be a long night.  By the end of the night, I was in such excruciating pain that I could hardly walk.  My ankle was swollen and very tender. 
  • March 9, 2011:  I visited the Podiatrist.  He had my ankle X-rayed during the visit.  He concluded that my ankle was sprained and to ice it and take it easy for several days.
  • 2 Weeks Later:  I saw the same DR again since I was not healing.  He basically said nothing was wrong and to give it time.
  • May 1, 2011: The pain at this point is bearable and decide to continue on with my 2nd sprint triathlon. I decided going into it that if it started to hurt bad I was going to not do the run and get a DNF.  This swim was good as well as the run from the swim to bike.  The bike also was good.  The run was a different story.  It hurt when I ran (jogged) but deep down inside I didn't want to quit since I had already gone this far, that plus it was only 3.1 miles!  Anyways I finished the race and was pretty sore for the next 6 hours or so!! 
  • Mid May 2011:  At this point, I am still in a lot of pain.  I finally seek out a 2nd opinion.  Xrays were clear again at this appointment.  This DR said something is definitely wrong since the ankle was not healing.  He sent me for an MRI. 2 weeks later, had the MRI.  MRI report showed possible tears in the peroneal tendons but wasn't for sure cause MRI's can be misleading.  He then referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon.
  • June 22, 2011:  I visited with an Orthopedic surgeon.  He reviewed the MRI and explained to me that an MRI is not always accurate too.  He said having surgery is the only way to truly find the problem and to see what was going on.  He gave me options of walking boot, physical therapy, or surgery, however, the surgeon felt surgery was the best choice because the exam he gave me said the symptoms were leading towards some kind of tear. They then scheduled me for surgery on July 6, 2011.

Here are some pics of how my ankle looked prior to surgery. Swollen and red under ankle.





I even used KT tape for about 2 months and it helped out a lot!!


No comments:

Post a Comment