Friday, July 22, 2011

Recovery

About 7am the following morning I noticed I was starting to get the feeling back and was able to wiggle my toes some.  That was a good feeling cause I hate not being able to feel something or able to move it when I try.  About 5 days after surgery I started noticing that the splint was getting a little to tight for my liking and that the pain was the worst it had been.  I decided to take off the ace bandage to relieve some tightness in which it helped out a lot but still felt a little to snug for me so I called up the Dr. office and asked to have a new splint put on.
On July 12th I went in to have a new splint put on and would you believe it or not it felt worse than the first one.  Not tightness but just the pain it was causing me overall.  I would have said something to them but it wasn't that bad when I left, it wasn't until we were riding home did I realize it.  I got home and immediately removed the ace bandage and then reapplied and it was ok but not great.  Through the course of the next 8 days I was a hurting man off and on.  I couldn't sleep because I couldn't find a position I and my leg were both comfortable in.  It had gotten so bad I was thinking of cutting it off and putting my walking boot on instead. When I am saying pain it was more of a pressure pain instead of hurt pain.  It basically felt as if the splint was pushed up against my incision an making it hurt.  Well that and along with it also pushing on my heel and inside of ankle.  I thought for sure maybe a staple had come out and was jabbing me in the side and causing this pain cause thats exactly what it felt like.

July 20th couldn't come fast enough and was so excited about getting the staples out and this darn splint off!!  I arrived at 8:15am and his assistant came in and removed the splint and sutures (not staples as I had thought).     I felt so much better after that splint was off let me tell you!!  The sutures didn't hurt being removed they kinda tickled some.  The Dr came in and looked at it a said everything looked great and wanted to put me in my walking boot for an additional 2 weeks with no weight again.  I still have to use crutches!!  He did say though I am able to remove the boot if I am in a controlled environment but I have to keep it still and dont move it to much.  When I go back on Aug 4th I will probably be able to start putting some weight on it as well as start physical therapy!! My calf has dwindled away to nothing now.
Anyways, here are some pics of the incision with the sutures




Here it is with sutures taken out




Me chillin after getting sutures out!!!

Once I took a shower this is what I saw, YEP DEAD SKIN!!


After some scrubbing it looked better and felt better!!




No comments:

Post a Comment